- ENTRY DEADLINE IS July 24th, 2019. ENTRIES AFTER July 24th WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- All cooking teams consist of one cook and up to 5 assistants. Each team provides their own cooking device power, and all equipment necessary for cooking, worktable, chairs, tent or canopy. All seasoning and cooking of meat must be done within the confines of the teams’ designated cooking space.
- Entries are NOT limited to residents of the Cologne area. Sponsorships are allowed and encouraged to help defer your costs. You may advertise your sponsors within the boundaries of your cooking area and must remain family friendly. Canopies/tents may be used to protect from sun/rain, but must be weighted to hold them in place. No stakes can be pounded into the pavement. Gas, Charcoal, Wood, and Electric pits are all acceptable but must be contained.
- There is a 18-team limit with an entry fee of $100. $25 of the entry will go to pay contest operating costs, approximately $72 for the meat, and the remaining amount into the prize pool. Payback will be top 4 placers. 1st place will receive $1000, 2nd place $750, 3rd place $500, & 4th place $250. This event is Non-Sanctioned.
- MEAT WILL BE PROVIDED WITH ENTRY FEE, NO OUTSIDE MEAT WILL BE ALLOWED. Each team will receive 8 racks of ribs with at least 11 bone’s, with entry fee. Additional meat may be ordered for $10 a rack. Please indicate on your order form if you wish to order extra racks and include payment with your entry form.
- Meat will be available for injecting/seasoning between 5:00pm – 8:00 pm Friday July 26th. Please indicate on your entry form if you would be interested in this option. If you choose to do this, teams will be responsible for providing their own containers/wrap for storage. After teams complete their preparation, the meat will remain with the Contest Coordinator until the official beginning of the contest.
- Each team will be supplied with a turn in container. No marking by teams will be allowed. Each team must provide 6 individual rib portions for judging. Turn in time is 4:00PM. The allowable turn-in time will be five (5) minutes before to five (5) minutes after the posted time with no tolerance. A late turn-in will not be accepted by a Rep and will receive a 0 (zero) in all criteria.
- Garnish is limited to chopped, sliced, or whole leaves of green lettuce, curly parsley, flat leaf parsley, or cilantro. PROHIBITED GARNISHES ARE lettuce cores, and other vegetation, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO kale, endive, red tipped lettuce. Garnish is not considered part of the judge’s score. Only meat and above listed garnish is allowed in container. No toothpicks, skewers, foil, side containers of sauce, foreign material, or stuffing is allowed. Any non-approved garnishes will result in a score of 2 for appearance. NO EXECPTIONS!
- Entries will be scored in the following areas: APPEARANCE, TENDERNESS and TASTE. The number of judges will be determined after we know how many contestants. Each team’s lowest score will be discarded, but will be used if a tie occurs. The scoring system will be 9(best) to 2(worst). The total score will be based on the total points, not averages. The APPEARANCE category will have a multiplier of 0.5600, the TENDERNESS category will have a multiplier of 1.4280, and the TASTE category will have a multiplier of 2.2972. Example, if you score a 9 in all three categories, you will receive 36 points. If there is a tie, all judge’s scores will be to determine a winner. If there is still a tie, a computer generated coin flip will be used to determine the winner. A score of 1 in any category is a disqualification and must be approved by Contest Coordinator and be used only if meat is not cooked completely.
- Behavior – Every team is responsible for its members and guests and are expected and required to exhibit proper and courteous behavior at all times. No carry-on alcohol is permitted except for cooking purposes; alcoholic beverages can be purchased from the Beer Garden & Trailer. Teams must maintain a family friendly atmosphere at all times. Failure to do so is subject of review by Contest Coordinator and may result in disqualification without refund.
- Glad Days Committee, City of Cologne, event judges, staff or workers are not responsible for any accidents/illnesses/injuries that are a result of contest participation.
- Public can purchase Ribs for $1.50 per bone from the Contest Committee. The teams can redeem $0.50 per ticket, $0.90 will go into prize pool $0.10 will go to contest operating costs. Any team that cooks extra racks will get $1.50 per bone after 72 tickets are redeemed.
- Each team will need to wear gloves during preparation of meat and while serving.
- Teams will need to ensure their ribs will be at a serving temperature of at least 140 degree’s while serving ribs.
- Ruling of Contest Coordinator is final in all matters.
- By sending in entry form, you have acknowledged and understand these rules.
NOTE: There will be NO parking on streets surrounding City Square Park - including Playhouse, Market and John. You may unload, but please move your vehicle promptly as many events are held in the street. Cars may be towed without warning.
TENTATIVE CONTEST SCHEDULE
08:00am-9:00am Cooks Check-In and Meat Distribution
08:00am-4:00pm: Ribs Cook Time
2:00pm Cooks meeting
4:00pm 6 Rib bones turn in
4:00pm - 5:00 Ribs Judging
4:30pm - ??? Public tasting
Award Ceremony will be after Public tasting
Clean Up ALL COOKING AREAS MUST BE CLEARED BY 7:00pm
Rib Contest Prizes - $2500 Prize Pool!
1st Place $1000 3rd Place $500
2nd Place $750 4th Place $250